17.11.05

Listen to the thunder, cuntchops.


Bloody hell. Holy Toledo. Christ on a bike, pedalling furiously. Fuck.

All of us sorry bastards, blessed as we are to have, astoundingly, been born into life, are subject to personal realities that make us mentally recite the above line, or something like it, every little while. Like a rumbling soulful thunder, part dread, part not-knowing. This is only occasional in our mental lives. Dread-notknowing is of course the entirety of our spiritual. Anyway, my mental dread-notknowing for the last while is: very soon I will be meeting my Dad.

After mad violence my Mum ran away from him when I was three. Two or three years ago my oldest sister got in touch with him. He has a room ready for me in his house. It is in Cork, and apparently the cunt drinks as much as me. He does come from Cork after all. He lives quietly weaving baskets, baking bread and revealing cryptic messages in 'The Magic Flute'.

About a year ago I called him. We were both blind drunk, but understood each other perfectly. When he said 'Son', which he did repeatedly, I would choke up. It took a minute or two before I could say 'Dad'.

Can you imagine it? Can you hear the thunder? When I go 'home' we will drink the island dry. The dread-notknowing is the new world of hangovers I am about to enter. New, hostile, territory. We know by now the Spidery, the Head-Cracker and The One whose Name we Do Not Speak. But I am still young. I have so much to learn. I will be OK. Dad will guide me, or will fucking die trying no doubt. Pray for me, you bastards.

Sirrah!

"Admire the world...as you would an opponent, without taking your eyes off him, or walking away". Annie Dillard

9 Comments:

At 2:21 am, Blogger Andraste said...

Heavy stuff, Brewski!

Erm...good luck with that.

 
At 7:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"There is a divine, not just bushes." - Annie Dillard.

"Nknufjyz." - Word Verification.

 
At 9:12 am, Blogger LindyK said...

Your rant sounded Kierkegaardian there for a minute, all the dread and not knowing... nicely done.

Actually, I know exactly how it feels, not talking to a parent for ages and then finally getting back in touch -- very strange feeling... I wish you all the best with that.

 
At 11:32 am, Blogger Brewski said...

No, no, no. You misunderstand. I worry not at all about meeting Pater. It's the hangovers that are coming. Even now they are finessing themselves, doing some stretches, and rubbing their hands with glee.

 
At 3:52 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Good luck with those all-new Irish hangovers....


I for one would choose a week long hangover rather than 5 minutes with my own father, but then he's a twat.

 
At 9:12 am, Blogger LindyK said...

Well then I don't feel a bit worried for you, if it's the hangovers you're afraid of, ya cunt... It'll be fun... or at least it'll be worth it...

 
At 12:48 pm, Blogger Brewski said...

I am looking forward to it immensely, if only because I haven't had a decent pint of the black in an age. Why I do these things to myself I will never fucking know.

 
At 1:58 am, Blogger LindyK said...

Brewski, darling, if we any of us knew why we did the things we do to ourselves, we'd never do the stupid things that fuck ourselves up (and then somehow teach us twisted lessons)... either that, or we'd miss all the fun stuff along the way, right? Stand a decent pint for me, will ya?!

 
At 3:35 pm, Blogger Brewski said...

I will indeed Lindy. I will stand a fucking brace of the cunts for you. Jesus my mouth is watering.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home